Skip to main content

I Want a Fish! Now What?

So, you’re thinking about getting a fish?
Wonderful! 
This post will address some important things to consider when diving into the aquatic world 
for the very first time. 

We will address the following:

COST

Your biggest expenditure will be purchasing the materials to get started. If you don’t have a tank, you’ll obviously start with one. You will also need substrate, or gravel, a filter, an overhead light, air stone, gravel cleaner/siphon/vacuum and a heater/chiller depending on your location. Lastly, décor and plants (real or fake) come last, next to your fish of choice.

Here is a breakdown of what my materials roughly cost for my 10-gallon tank:

Nicrew Full Spectrum Aquarium light: $30
TetraWhisper Power Filter: $30
TetraWhisper Replacement Filters: $15
Substrate: $5 - $10 for 5 lbs.
Substrate Vacuum/Siphon: $20
Air Stone: $18
Décor/Plants: $10 - $30
Fish: $3 ( I bought Twerp as a “baby betta” from PetSmart)
Heater/Chiller: $15 - $20

Optional, but highly recommended: POWER STRIP/EXTENSION CORDS

As you can see, you can expect to drop a lump sum to collect your fishkeeping materials! I recommend buying your supplies through Amazon or even Ebay, because they are often cheaper and have more variety.

A pet store may have the essentials, but stores like Petco/Smart are limited in their variety and are slightly pricier. Betta yet, look at Marketplace on Facebook or any other selling site (Mercari, OfferUp…) to find great deals on “starter fish packs,” as I call them. I always see listings where people sell their tank plus all the equipment for a GREAT price. Just remember, if you choose this route, ALWAYS clean your equipment before use with soap and water… and don't forget to 
RINSE, RINSE, RINSE!

EQUIPMENT

Do I really need all of this? What if I don't buy a heater? Or a filter?

Can I put my fish in a 3 gallon tank? I had one when I was younger...


I really don't understand the internet trend of buying fish and placing them in jars, quite frankly, as a permanent home. I'm here to tell you, if you skip out on any of the essential items, your fish will die. As someone who launched themselves into fishkeeping thinking I didn't need a heater or an air stone, well, this advice is for you.

I admit, I have lost a couple fish due to my negligence as a beginner fish keeper

(RIP Ruby & Saphire).

If you find yourself asking the above questions...

Please, don't get a fish.



Now that I've hopefully ingrained this advice into your head, let's address a couple vital water care supplements/conditioners:

API Stress Coat

 

Tetra EasyBalance


First, API Stress Coat, without going into too much detail about a tank's cycle (there will be a future post about this!), rids and reduces your tap water of any harmful chemicals or heavy metals. 5ml per 10 gallons of water, per every weekly water change. Plus, it has the additional power of aloe vera, which has soothing and healing properties for fish.

Secondly, Tetra EasyBalance is a great boost for fish's wellbeing and activity. It provides nutrients for your fish while reducing toxic levels of nitrates in your tank. And, like in its name, "Balance" is exactly what it does for your pH levels. Finally, if you don't have time for your weekly water change (it happens), this can be a quick fix! I have only done this a couple of times and my tank was fine.

Please note, I do NOT recommend replacing a dose of EasyBalance for your weekly water change. Water changes are essential for your fish and can be a factor of life and death.

SPACE

The golden rule of fish housing is at least 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish. While this rule typically is okay for smaller fish like bettas or tetras, you’ll want to double it (2 gallons per 2 inches) to accommodate larger or rounder fish species like Orandas. Below are some ideas of what to house in what type of tank:

6-7 Neon Tetras: 10 gallons +
1 Betta Fish: 5 gallons +
2 Betta Fish with Tank Divider: 10 gallons+
15-25 Shrimp: 5 gallons + (2-5 shrimp per gallon)
1 Snail, 6 Neon Tetras: 10 gallons+
1 Snail, 1 Betta Fish: 10 gallons at least to be safe
3 Orandas: 10 gallons at least to be safe

Basically, do a little math and then use your best judgement. Or, if you have poor judgement, less is more! You don't have to have a "fully stocked" tank. There are plenty of fish enthusiasts who house snails only in their 10 gallon tank or only house shrimp, etc.

Additionally, your fish will let you know if they are unhappy in their tank. No, they don't exactly tell your directly, "Hey you, you expect me to live in this clamshell of a tank?" But it comes out in various forms: they lose their appetite, their fins are clamped together (not relaxed) or their activity declines.


LIFESTYLE

I included lifestyle because unlike cats or dogs, whose environment is "as is", a fish's environment is highly concentrated. And it requires weekly maintenance.

If your job requires you to travel often, I would consider making a plan that works for you to ensure the health of your tank and fish. A weekly water change is a must but if you only travel occasionally, it could work. Or, maybe your neighbor or friend has fish so they "know the drill." I haven't seen or heard of any fish boarding businesses yet but if they come up, I will surely do a post about one.

So how long does a weekly water change take?

If you know what you are doing, about 30 minutes. If you are new or just getting the hang of siphoning and refilling the tank, about 1 hour. Believe me, my weekly water changes used to be a journey. Each time. Sigh.




Don't worry, just like with everything in life, practice makes progress.

Fast Fact: I've left my tank without a water change for 3 weeks and everyone lived! My tank looked like a part of the Amazon River it was so overgrown and murky (in a good way).

I DO NOT RECOMMEND LEAVING YOUR TANK UNCHANGED FOR 3 WEEKS.

I had to leave unexpectedly for a work trip and luckily, my neighbor could throw in food every now and then and I did not expect him to clean my tank.


TYPE OF FISH + FOOD

Last but not least, the fish. Do you like the colorful Betta Fish? Maybe some schooling fish like Tetras? Or the way shrimp glide elegantly through the water? Maybe, you find fascination is watching mystery snails sail all over your tank -

Whichever fish or freshwater species you pick, ask yourself these questions:

1. Does it like other fish? Does it like being alone?

Some fish like Betta Fish do best when they are alone. Why? They are commonly referred to as "fighting fish" because of their aggressive, territorial nature. While other fish like Tetras are docile and calm. Tetras also are a schooling fish meaning they need to be with other tetras in order to thrive.

2. What water parameters does it prefer?

Even though fish have been domesticated, they still have water preferences from where they first originated. Betta Fish are used to a warm, humid climate and prefer water over 75 degrees. Tetras, also used to a warmer climate, prefer the same. Snails and shrimp can tolerate slightly cooler water, but I would not recommend keeping a tank under 70 degrees.

3. What food does it eat?


Some fish eat only other fish while some fish eat...vegetables?

Betta Fish are carnivorous and require a high protein diet. Since Betta Fish have become a popular pet, most foods will specifically state they are for Bettas and they typically come is tiny, dried granules.


For omnivorous species such as Tetras and Shrimp, look for food such as veggie pellets or algae wafers to provide the best nutrition. Yes, even throw in a slice of raw cucumber or broiled kale for your veggie-eaters. Always supplement with a protein food, too, if you can.


My last advice about fish food is to ignore the directions on the label. PLEASE. Most labels will say, "feed as much as your fish can consume in under 2 minutes." Can someone please tell me who did this? This is just asking for a beginner to overfeed their fish to cause bloat and possibly result in death, resulting in scarring the beginner fish enthusiast for almost life! This may or may not have happened.

Anyway, don't listen to the label. 

Overfeeding your fish can result in bloating and can result in death.
Like myself and others, they won't stop eating even though they are full. For Bettas, I recommend 2-3 pellets 2x per day. For everyone else, 1 feeding per day or 2 small feedings per day if you have time. Of course, only you know your fish and your fish may need more (or less)! Be sure to watch their weight, too. I have a rather gluttonous Neon Tetra so I have to be strategic about feeding time.


And that's all I have for today, folks!

What kind of fish are you thinking of getting?

-Raquel & Twerp, the female Betta


Next Post Topic: All About the Betta Fish!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Betta Fish

Hey there! Glad you could make it! Today, we will be diving into the world of the betta fish. I am no Ichthyologist, but I will try my best to explain behavior, personality, anatomy and other FUN stuff about bettas.  Here's what I'll be covering: ORIGIN So where do bettas come from? Betta fish are native to Thailand. Did you know there are over 60 different species of bettas? Specifically, the betta fish that we typically see in pet stores are classified as Betta Splendens. Colloquially, these fish are nicknamed, "Siamese Fighting Fish" because of their aggressive behaviors.  Within the fishkeeping hobby, Betta Hendra are becoming quite popular. Betta Hendra are within the betta family but have a more slender body and bold, iridescent coloring. Below is a photo from Instagram user fishiefishieaz showcasing their male Betta Hendra. fishiefishieaz has been successfully breeding his Hendra pair.  Isn't the Betta Hendra gorgeous? ANATOMY To be a successful fish keepe

Welcome! So Glad You Made It!

 Hey there! T(h)anks for swimming by!  This blog serves to help other freshwater fish keepers or fish enthusiasts by sharing tips, tricks and other advice about how to best care for your betta fish! Please note these tips and tricks are from my own experiences; it is through trial and error that I have figured out what works best for me, which is something I have discovered while having fish.  I hope to inspire you so that you may take the very best care of your aquatic friends! But why? Simply put, there is not a lot of fish keeping advice on the internet. It was astounding to me that more information has not been shared (or if it has, it's been kept hidden!) publicly. So, I set out to do just that: saturate the internet with all things freshwater fish! Let's make this journey together! - Raquel & Twerp the female Betta And the 4 Neon Tetras And the 30+ neocaridina shrimp And the 12+ shrimplets And the planaria that I am currently trying to evict (blog post soon about this